Monday 7 May 2018

Helping Hand


This is another preliminary note that forms part of the story that has formed quite a few sort-of-poems telling the years. It says so much about the man that Norman was, the spirit he still is.

Helping Hand

When in late autumn I resumed my travels
back to you

– pursuing my new life,
our beckoning future –

the first night was troubled
by anxieties 
I lay in wakeful doom;
mind rewove the day's events
and past months' tests –
a manic loom that utterly refused me rest.

But you
in sleep
turned on your back
and took my hand
to squeeze it

several times
unconscious, deep in dreamland's instinct caring.

You warmed away my woman's quakes
and deftly eased my frowning fears –

Since then my trust
is sworn into,
palm-protected by
our pairing –

the fabric of our fingers
joining our best years.

6th April 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment