Wednesday 20 June 2018

A forgotten letter to the Steppenwolverine

I actually don't know how it happened, but today I discovered a forgotten email to me from Norman, dated 7th June 2012. Here it is. (His pet name for me was 'Wolverine' - short for 'Steppenwolverine', a feminisation of Steppenwolf, which Norman called himself after Herman Hesse's figure of that name to express his isolatedness.)

My Dearest Wolverine,

    As someone who's been called
    a Master of Fire,*
    your log-blooms awe me,

    their architecure
    so sure,
    so

    alert to the meaning of air-paths
    traced amidst the symmetries
    and crankinesses of wood;

    and these past days
    you have set me to sleep and meditate
    before such heart-warm blazes

    that today some ache in my chest that's been there as long as I can recall
    gave way,
    let me settle towards a peace of mind and body

    I've not known for years
    - took me into the arms of comfort
    that are your flesh and spirit

    laving over me,
    healing me
    of a life-long illness,

    letting me come safely into your company
    more closely than anyone's
    ever done before,

    thawing my self-denying fear of risking living
    into trickling
    like the first seeps of Spring

    towards
    really leafing
    into Tomorrow.

    Love,
            Norman.

* My poem Master of Creation, which describes Norman as a master of fire, was published in New Contrast 152, Vol.38, No.4, Summer 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment