Sunday 20 June 2021

A space for everyone

Dearest Hugh

Thank you for wanting to hear me read my poems and for introducing me to Off The Wall.
Thank you for encouraging me to write a verse novel and for publishing it - for involving me so closely with the bold experiment of serialising a contemporary verse novel. It was a superb experience!
Thank you for writing me a reference for a creative arts fellowship.

I wish I could have fulfilled your wish to publish The Griffin Elegy as a complete set.
I wish I could have fulfilled your wish to hear it more in performance.

Thank you, Hugh, for believing in my poetry.
Thank you for being a friend - a critical friend, a natural friend, a poetry friend.

Thank you for all your precious sms poems, which showed so plainly how woven into everyday life our poems are. 
For being kind to Norman, to the Eastern Cape poets, to different kinds of voices. 
For being so very supportive of Lewis - his five books would not have come about without you.
For inviting everybody to read in the language of their choice - from Sweden to Argentina and back home.
For giving a space to everyone - from pastors to bergies - at Off The Wall.

I was so happy when you and Julia found each other.
I have been sad to see you unwell and suffering. 
May you travel well, as your soul unfolds its further mysteries.

Love from
'Silkiness!' ... as you always, with a smile, called me, always, somehow, in a tone of surprise.




No comments:

Post a Comment