Sunday 22 July 2018

Elegy for Norman

Elegy in 7 parts
for Norman (3.10.1949 - 23.7.2017)

1. Still watching a movie

This evening a year ago
we danced you to the end 
of love

and over

to a future you articulated
fully conscious, there for all
that was taking place within you,
about you, with and without us.

No script, no score - we improvisors both
couraged our conversation
by effort of will, of yes,
of grace, here we are -
at THIS juncture.

You knew it better than I
- I who was still lost in impossible wishings,
fantasies -
you turned

and put your teeth I'd cleaned
back in
for sleep.

I noticed, but did not heed
the meaning.

You saw the morning
from a different vantage.
But right now a year ago
we are still watching a movie.

2. Only the Poet's Wife

And when you said 
we must go together
as we thought had been ordained
I chose - replied, No,

the Poet's Wife will die with you,
but not the all of me -
I've much to do!

You nodded. Okay, that sounds fair,
you said, completely satisfied.

3. Legacy

The poet's wife is dead.
Her tokens part of your cremation,
her intimacies gone.

Her poems like yours
a legacy of sorts, a gathering
another must complete.

Who is that other?
Not one who with the poet's wife
would ever compete.

4. For fire

There's a freedom
manned by none

- that fragrance of an honesty,
that chopped fresh wood exuberance 
of being sundered to be used

for
fire.

5. Elemental

You don't want to be my darling,
you don't want to be my Love

- now all you want is
breath beyond lungs

stirring trees and oceans
with gleeful megalomania!

6. Clarify

Death did not part
so much as clarify
the parts we be
- you and I.

7. Pregnant

What happy memories I carry
into the future
I'm pregnant with.

No comments:

Post a Comment